The Nokia 8 is definitely HMD or Nokia’s leap into the world of flagships. The high-end smartphone was announced mid August, 2017 and it is packed with a lot of power that can rival almost every flagship on the market. The Nokia 8 ships with abundant amount of RAM, Snapdragon 835, a stunning 5.3-inch display and a dual camera setup at the back.
Nokia 8 Key Specifications
- Display Size : 5.3 Inches QHD IPS LCD touchscreen
- Display Resolution: 1440 x 2560 pixels (554 ppi)
- CPU: Octa-core Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 (4×2.35 GHz Kryo & 4×1.9 GHz Kryo)
- RAM: 4GB
- Internal memory: 64GB
- External Storage: microSD, up to 256GB
- Rear Camera: Dual 13MP rear camera, LED Flash, OIS, autofocus
- Front Camera: 13MP Camera, with LED Flash, autofocus
- Battery: 3090 mAh
- Fingerprint sensor: front-mounted
- OS: Android 7.1.1 Nougat
- SIM Type: Dual or Single SIM versions (Nano)
- 4G LTE: YES
- Price: from N190,000
Design and Display
The Nokia 8 takes on the looks or should I say, the form factor of the last three Nokia models, but still stands out as a flagship. It spots a sleek and attractive design in an all-aluminum body made of 6000 series aluminum that curves at the back and sides.
The Nokia 8 is 151.5 mm long, 73.7 mm wide and 7.9 mm thick, and it weighs 160g. It comes in four colors: Polished Blue, Polished Copper, Steel and Tempered Blue.
The Nokia 8 features a 5.3-inch Quad-HD IPS LCD (2560 x 1440 pixels)display at 554 pixels-per-inch and can achieve brightness levels of up to 700 nits. The display is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5.
This display will definitely be bright and vibrant and should provide flawless viewing experience.
With most flagship devices, there is always a stand-out feature which is meant to distinguish it from the rest. In other words, the selling point of the device. For the Nokia 8, it’s the camera.
The Nokia 8 is equipped with dual 13-megapixel rear camera with ZEISS optics. In the front, also, is a wide-angle 13-megapixel selfie shooter with LED flash and auto focus, with ZEISS optics as well. Both the rear and front cameras can shoot videos at 2160p (2K).
One of the rear camera is a regular RGB sensor while the other is a monochrome sensor. Both cameras utilize the ‘Image Fusion Technology’; a feature that merges two separate photos taken with each individual camera into one thereby producing a single photo with greater contrast.
Another great feature which is meant to target content creators is the ‘bothie’ camera feature. This feature splits the display 50/50 and allows you snap photos or shoot videos with both the front and back cameras simultaneously. You can also stream videos to Facebook Live or YouTube directly from the native camera app.
Also baked into the Nokia 8 is the Ozo Audio: the first in any smartphone. This is a top-tier audio recording that makes use of multiple microphones to capture high dynamic range and record binaural audio.
With this, people watching Livestream such as Facebook Live will be able to hear stereo sounds from the recording, through headphones, without a need for an additional software.
Other features like dual-tone LED flash, autofocus, phase detection, face detection, touch focus, HDR, OIS, panorama, geo-tagging also accompanies the Nokia 8 camera.
Performance and Storage
The Nokia 8 also comes with greater power over the Nokia 6. The handset is powered by a 2.45GHz Snapdragon 835 octa-core processor, Adreno 540 GPU and paired with 4GB/6GB of RAM. Multitasking and even the most power-hungry games should run seamlessly on this device.
There is a built-in advanced cooling system that makes use of a copper pipe and graphite shielding that helps disperse heat evenly across the Nokia 8. This helps curb overheating on a particular spot on the phone and will reportedly allow you to push the performance harder for longer.
You get 64GB/128GB of internal storage space on the Nokia 8 which can be expanded with a MicroSD of up to 256GB.
Battery and Other Features
The Nokia 8 is powered by a 3090mAh non-removable battery with Quick Charge 3.0 via USB Type-C. It runs on Android 7.1.1 ‘Nougat’ (to be upgraded to Android 8.0 “O” soon) with no skin on top which means no bloatware or unnecessary apps.
The antenna bands on the Nokia 8 are place at the top and bottom which should provide for good signal sensitivity. With no unnecessary apps and a good signal sensitivity, you should expect to get more juice out of the Nokia 8’s battery.
The Nokia 8 comes with connectivity options such as dual SIM, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, NFC, Headphone, Wi-Fi. Nokia 8 is also 4G LTE with download speeds of up to 150Mbps. The secondary SIM slot doubles as the MicroSD slot.
In Nigeria, the Nokia 8 will support LTE on all major networks including MTN, 9mobile (Etisalat), NTel, Globacom, InterC, and Smile.
Sensors on the Nokia 8 include Fingerprint sensor (embedded in the Home button) Accelerometer, Ambient light sensor, Compass, Gravity sensor, Gyroscope, Magnenometer, Proximity Sensor, Hall sensor, Barometer.
The Nokia 8 is IP54 certified which means it’s dust and splash resistant.
Price and Availability
The Nokia 8 is not yet available in Nigeria and Kenya. The smartphone will be released by September, 2017 and will cost about €600 when it is finally available for purchase.
In Nigeria, the price of the Nokia 8 should range between N195,000 to N300,000 while In Kenya, prices should range between Ksh 49,999 to Ksh 99,999 when it is finally available at online stores.
Nokia 8 Detailed Specifications
- Display: 5.3-inch QHD IPS LCD Capacitive Touchscreen, 2560 x 1440 pixels (554ppi)
- Performance: Octa-Core MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 CPU (4×2.45 GHz Kryo & 4×1.9 GHz Kryo), Adreno 540 GPU with 4GB/6GB of RAM
- Storage: 64GB Internal Storage (expandable up to 256GB via MicroSD)
- Camera: Dual 13MP and 13MP Rear Camera and 13MP Front Camera
- Battery and Software: 3,090 mAh non-removable Battery, Android 7.1.1 (Nougat), to be upgraded to Android 8.0 ‘O’ soon.
- Connectivity: 4G LTE, 3G, Bluetooth v5.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi hotspot, WiFi Direct, NFC, USB Type-C
- Sensors: Fingerprint, Accelerometer, Ambient light, Compass, Gravity, Gyro, Proximity, Barometer
- Features: Headphone, IP54 certified – dust and splash resistant
- Color: Polished Blue, Polished Copper, Steel and Tempered Blue.
- SIM Type: nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM, Dual stand-by
- Dimensions (mm): 151.5 x 73.7 x 7.9
- Weight (g): 160